Neolamprologous leleupi colony breeders?

Moderators: Stevejulio, CindyS, eric_from_richwood

rvs

Neolamprologous leleupi colony breeders?

Post by rvs »

Are neolamprologous leleupi colony brreeders like brichardis?

I have a pair in a 55 gallon spawn. Fry are free swimming a few weeks and eating bbs. The parents might be spawning again,. I see them hanging out in a overturned pot. Trying to figure out if i need to pull the fry or will multiple spawns coexist like they do with brichardi.
Stevejulio

Re: Neolamprologous leleupi colony breeders?

Post by Stevejulio »

My recollection is that they are not a tolerant as birchardi when a new brood has hatched especially if there is a notable size difference between fry. But it has been a while for me.
bdmminer

Post by bdmminer »

It has been a while for me as well, but I will agree with Steve. The parents will not go on a murderous streak if I remember correctly, however, in my experience the older fry may eat the new batch.
Brandon Miner
GCAS HAP Chair
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Depends on the parents. Some will allow another clutch to thrive in the tank, but most won't.
Chances aren't as good in a smaller tank than a 55 either.
If you want to save them, I'd pull them.
rvs

Post by rvs »

Thank you for all the advice.

Ill pull the parents into a different tank.
rvs

Post by rvs »

Wanted to post an update on my experience.
I did pull the parents. These are prolofic breeders. Breed almost once every 3 weeks. Maybe the temp in my tank is a tad high.

Eventually got overrun by the fry. Moved the 2 breeding pairs in a 33 long , 4 foot tank. The pairs are separated by a diy separator. One of the pairs bred there too.
I was a bit lazy in pulling those fry and when i saw they were no longer on the parents side of the divider i thought either the parents ate them or they wandered over to other side and got eaten by their uncle and aunt.

On a closer look i see a lot of the fry on the other side alive and thriving. They seem to move between the 2 sides and neither pair seems to be eating them. This has been the state of affairs for the last week. I am tempted to leave them in and see what happens, but will probably pull them in a few days.

Cichlids are truly amazing.
bdmminer

Post by bdmminer »

That is good to hear, glad to see someone breeding leleupi in the area again. One of my favorite Tangs.
Brandon Miner
GCAS HAP Chair

Return to “General discussion”