common names of fish

Recommendations for the Cichlid Room Companion home page or error reporting
zax

common names of fish

Post by zax »

i am new to cichlids and it would be nice to add the common names of fish in the titles so i know what topics are about. for example, adding yellow lab instead of just L. caeruleus.
Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: common names of fish

Post by Philippe Burnel »

The common name is only common in your country often different in Europe or Asia.
CichildRoom Companion is a worlwide forum (I'm french) so the best (IMO) is to use the only name understood all over the world : the scientific name.
It's not so difficult to learn scientific names.
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

Indeed

It's much easier to know 1 scientific name - even though the name might change in the next 5 years - than to learn the so called common names for this species

As Phelipes stated, each language has its common name, and in case a language is large, such as English, or Spanish, a fish might have a dozen names in just that language

Besides, what if there are two common names -'the black and red darter' and 'the red and black darter'wouldn't that mess things up? In some cases so called common names are even worse
Daniel Smith

Post by Daniel Smith »

Your post actually shows the perfect example of why it is more confusing using common names . If you asked me the scientific name for a yellow lab I would say Herichthys Labridens a large cichlid from cental america wich has a yellow and blue variety . We would then both be talking about totally different fish that are both yellow labs
dan smith
zax

Post by zax »

that makes sense, guess i'll start learning the scientific names

Return to “Suggestions”